Friday, November 16, 2007

The Beauty of Friendship

I have many friends. I'm not saying this to feel popular or important, but just that even though they may never be mentioned, I feel damn lucky to so many great people in my life.

There are a few friends however that I will forever mention because they have been a part of my life as long as I can remember and I can honestly say that they have helped me become me. I think if you were to add up the laughs, memories,tears, and time that I've spent with these ladies, I'm sure it would add up to most and certainly the better part of my life.


This photo from my wedding shows three of my girls - Gretchen, Christie, and Terri.


Gretchen and I met in 1999 while working for a small software company. I hadn't even been hired yet, but I remember when I met her during my interview that somehow if I got the job, she I would be great friends. Luckily, I got the job!

I don't think we talked much to one another then, but my first memories of Christie were in Dr. Challendar's freshman English class at Longwood College in 1989 (yikes I feel old). One night while making a "pizza run" (which I often did while pledging a campus sorority), I didn't have enough money to pick up the order and Christie who was standing behind me in line said "no problem, I got you covered." Not only did she save me a trip back to my dorm, but she opened the door to a great and loyal friendship that has lasted since that day.

Terri and I never met. She was born into my life. What I mean by that is we are related. Although she is technically my cousin, she has ALWAYS been like a little sister to me. When we were kids, we often spent two or three weeks together in the summers. Recently, I was doing some spring cleaning and I found a letter that she had written me after one of those summers. Basically, it read..."I'm glad we got to spend so much time together this summer, and even though we argued constantly, I love you. You make me laugh." I think that pretty much sums up what it's like to have a sister!

I love you girls...you rock!

No comments: