Friday, May 23, 2008

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!

The first two weeks of our fire academy were relatively uneventful. Mostly classroom stuff -where the stations are located in the county, who reports to whom, that administrative buracratic crap that I find interesting but not enough to write about it.


In the third week, things were more hands on! We learned about Personal Protective Equipment, SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus), and used thermal imaging cameras. Dressed in "turnout" gear, we did an exercise simulating a smoked filled room with a hose on the floor as our only guide to the way out. Being clausterphobic, I opted out of wearing the SCBA, but I still completed the exercise on all fours, following the hose to fresh air! The camera was pretty cool - similar to what you'd expect with night vision goggles - giving everything a creepy green glow.





It was fun, but it really gave me a greater appreciation for the work that firefighters do! Thanks honey!!

No comments: